I recently got given a new laptop to work on and soon realised that Visual Studio 2010 was not up to date. I started the installation of SP1, but the installation kept failing. I tried this three times and it failed three times. The thing that confused me was that it failed at random places. Luckily the logs that Microsoft gives for this install are very verbose and so I discoverred that the error was a common error message accross all the failures. Below is an example:
Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. ]
After seraching for that error code, I quickly realised that the issue appeared to be access to a file that it was trying to replace. Given that this was happening at a random point in the install, I figured that the issue must be another piece of software running that was locking files.
After having a good look at the other apps I had running, I realised that there are two potential candidates. One was Microsoft Security Essentials and the other was Carbonite Pro (which automates my crucial file backups). I disabled both of these and the install succeeded.
I figure that Security Essentials was not to blame because i’ve never had a problem installing anything before. I’ve only been using Carbonite Pro for about a month, so I have to assume it was the culprit.
So if you’re getting the error above, check for file backup utilities that are running and disable them while doing your installation